WINNER: Submitted by Janet and Glen Kerby
- 8oz bacon, chopped medium
- 5lb boneless beef chuck roast, well-trimmed and cut into 1 and ½ inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped medium
- 3 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 3 TBSP chili powder
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, torn into 2-inch pieces
- 1 and ¾ cups (one can) chicken broth
- 1 and ¾ cups (one can) beef broth
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped medium (from small can; you will not use all the chiles in the can)
- 3 cans BROOK’S CHILI BEANS
- Salt and pepper
Cook bacon in a 12” skillet until crisp. Keep 2 TBSP bacon fat in pan.
Dry beef with paper towels and then season with salt and pepper
Heat bacon fat until shimmering and brown one third of the beef. Repeat until all beef is nice and well-browned, adding more bacon fat (or vegetable oil if not enough bacon fat) to pan as needed.
Remove beef to dutch oven or slow cooker or pressure cooker (whichever big pot you will use to cook this goodness…)
Add more fat (bacon or veg oil) to skillet and cook onion and jalapenos until soft. Add chili powder, cumin and salt to taste (start at ¼ tsp).
Stir in garlic and cook for about 30 seconds
Stir in tomatoes and scrape up any browned bits
Pour it all into the big pot with the beef
Combine tortillas with one cup of broth in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high until mushy, about 2 minutes.
Puree the mushy tortillas in a blender or with a hand-immersion blender or a fork (and some muscle power)
Dump the mushy, pureed tortillas into the big pot
Add remaining broth to the pot
Add the chiles in adobo sauce to the big pot
If using a slow-cooker: cook 9 to 10 hours on low or 6 to 7 hours on high
If using a pressure cooker: bring to pressure (high heat) and then reduce heat to low to maintain pressure for one hour
If using a dutch oven or a big pot: bring to boil and then reduce heat to low and cook for 3 hours
…all until meat is tender and at the consistency you like. It should smell good! At the end, stir in the three cans of BROOKS CHILI BEANS. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh cilantro, sour cream and avocado. Graciously accept the admiration of your chili fans! Yum. Enjoy!
2nd Place - Submitted by Kaye Johns
White Chicken Chili
• 2 chicken breast
• 15oz can chili beans
• 15oz can corn
• 10oz rotel tomatoes
• 1 packet ranch seasoning
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tbsp chili powder
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 8oz block cream cheese
-Drain and rinse beans. Place chicken in crockpot, then pour in entire can of corn, rotel tomatoes and beans on chicken. Top with seasonings and ranch. Stir. Place cream cheese block on top. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. Shred chicken and stir.
Lazy Day Chili - Submitted by Mary Gouty
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 15 oz can chili beans
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 15 oz can pork and beans, undrained
- 1 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1 oz dry chili seasoning mix
- 16 oz tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 tablespoons dry baking cocoa
- 4 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
In a 4 quart pot brown ground beef with minced onion. Once browned do not drain. Then add all other ingredients and cook on low heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Hope you enjoy this simple but delicious recipe. I love mine with grilled cheese!
Debbie's Prize Winning Chili Recipe
2 T. olive oil
2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
3 lbs short ribs
2 - 10.5 oz cans Campbell's French Onion Soup
1 Packet Brooks Chili Seasoning
4 t. ground Cumin
4 t. cocoa
2 - 15 oz cans dark red kidney beans
2 - 15 oz cans Brooks Chili Hot beans
2 - 6 oz cans tomato paste
2 - 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 - 20 oz bottle Coke
2 T. Worcestershire Sauce
One day before preparing Chili:
1. brown short ribs on all sides in skillet with 2 T oil, then add to crock pot with 2 c water (or enough to cover short ribs) and season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. cook on low 6-8 hours (until meat is falling off the bones)
2. remove short ribs from crock pot and discard water
3. shred short rib meat, discarding fat and bones, refrigerate until ready to use.
On the Day you want to prepare the chili:
4. Put soup in blender, blend for 1 minute
5. add all ingredients to crock pot
6. let simmer on low 6 hours or 2 hours on high.
Can also be prepared with 3 lb ground chuck, browned/drained day of cooking Chili.
can be served with cornbread muffins, unsalted top Saltine Crackers, soup crackers, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, chopped peppers, or whatever chili toppings you prefer.
Turkey Pumpkin Chili - Submitted by Lacey Ferry
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 cups cubed fresh pumpkins
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
1 (15 ounces can seasoned black beans
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon chili powder
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; brown turkey, stirring often, until crumbly and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain and discard any fat.
Transfer turkey to a slow cooker and stir in onions, diced tomatoes, pumpkin, chili beans, black beans, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and chili powder. Set cooker to Low, cover, and cook until pumpkin is tender and has started to break apart, at least 3 hours.