July is National Picnic Month!
Jul 16, 2015
Picnics are a great opportunity to share good food with good company, and can also help establish healthy habits for you & your family!
Here are a few Live Well picnic ideas:
- Make mini BLT sandwiches with whole wheat bread, arugula, & fresh tomatoes served with guacamole on the side to dip them in.
- Try nut & seed butters such as peanut, almond, and sunflower butter in a whole grain pita stuffed with banana slices for an easy & safe meatless sandwich option on a hot sunny day.
- Try grilling meat wrapped in a foil packet to keep it from becoming charred or drying out.
- Corn on the cob & grilled veggie kabobs are easy to grab-and-go for active picnic goers.
- Fruit like wedges of watermelon, cantaloupe, berries & grapes can be eaten right out of your hand, which means less utensils & bowls needed.
- Bring a chilled fruit gazpacho for dessert made with pureed mixed berries, mint, Greek yogurt & a little honey. However you decide to picnic, enjoy the time with those you spend it with and make the most of these sunny summer months!
County Market's Live Well Team Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian & Hope Danielson, Director of Health & Wellness