Baby Bella Mushroom & Onion Quinoa Stuffing
Nov 24, 2015
It can already be a little stressful to host Thanksgiving at your house, but it can be even more difficult when friends or family members have special dietary restrictions such as gluten-free if they have Celiac Disease or need recipes low in carbohydrates if they have Diabetes.
The great news is that there are many recipes that tailor to multiple dietary needs such as the one below.
Quinoa is a naturally Gluten-Free whole grain that is also good for people with diabetes because it is higher in protein and fiber content compared to rice or a white bread-based stuffing.
This recipe is also loaded with non-starchy veggies to help keep the carbohydrate count lower than most traditional stuffing recipes.
Photo Courtesy of Ancient Harvest
Baby Bella Mushroom and Onion Quinoa Stuffing
Prep Time: 8 minute Total Cook Time: 20 minutes Number of Servings: 6 – 1 cup servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3/4 cup green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 8 oz sliced fresh baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. Cook the rinsed quinoa in broth according to the package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan add the olive oil, white onion, garlic, and green onion and sauté approximately one minute on medium heat.
3. Add the diced celery and carrots, salt (optional) and black pepper to taste and cook about 12-15 minutes over medium heat, until vegetables are tender.
4. Add the mushrooms to the pan along with more black pepper if desired and cook for another 5 minutes while stirring and then cover for another 2 minutes, just until the mushrooms shrink and are cooked through.
5. Add the cooked quinoa to the pan and mix until evenly distributed. Enjoy
- You can use any Mrs. Dash (salt-free) seasonings you like in the place of salt such as onion and garlic, or tomato basil for added flavor!
- Add a little freshly grated parmesan cheese to the top of the stuffing while it’s still hot
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 160 Protein: 6gm Total Carbohydrates: 25gm Fiber: 3.2gm
Total Fat: 4.3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 160mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market