Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Nov 02, 2015
I love sweet potatoes especially during the holidays, but unfortunately a lot of time the way they are served can be unhealthy. Sweet potatoes are already sweet enough without adding extra sugary ingredients to them. This is a wonderful recipe that enhances the sweetness of the sweet potatoes withut adding extra sugar. I also love the combination of herbs and the creaminess from the Greek yogurt and cheese.
Garlic & Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Prep/Cook Time: 20 minutes Number of Servings: 5 – ¾ cup servings
- 2 lbs (4 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (can buy already grated or shaved)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Salt to taste (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the cubed sweet potatoes.
2. Boil sweet potatoes until soft and tender and then drain in a colander.
3. Place olive oil in large pot (empty) over medium heat and add minced garlic. Sauté garlic until light golden brown and then place drained sweet potatoes back into the pot.
4. Add the milk, plain non-fat Greek yogurt, and freshly grated parmesan cheese to the pot and mash ingredients until smooth and creamy.
5. Add the rosemary, onion powder, oregano, and ground black pepper to the pot and evenly distribute the herbs and seasoning (salt to taste, optional).
- Try using Mrs. Dash seasonings in the place of salt.
- Add some fresh parsley for a nice garnish
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 154 Protein: 5gm Total Carbohydrates: 22gm Fiber: 3.4gm
Total Fat: 5.4g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 140mg
Hope Danielson, Director of Health and Wellness for County Market