Quinoa, Kale, Avocado & Navel Orange Salad
Dec 18, 2015
This is one of my absolute favorite quinoa-based salad recipes to make! It uses avocado, Chilean navel oranges, kale & quinoa!! Liven up those taste buds with this delicious & filling salad recipe.
Quinoa, Kale, Avocado and Navel Orange Salad
Number of Servings: 6 Time to Make: 25 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1¾ cups water
- 1½ bunches kale, cut into 1”x1” pieces
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup Chilean navel orange segments
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Bring 1¾ cups water to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool, uncovered. Place kale in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover saucepan with a lid and steam kale until hot, about 45 seconds; transfer to a large plate and let cool.
- Fluff quinoa with fork. Then fold in avocado, orange segments, red onion and feta cheese. In a mixing bowl, toss the kale and Orange Dijon Dressing (see below) until the kale is lightly coated.
- Transfer the kale on a serving plate and top with the quinoa, avocado and orange mixture.
Orange Dijon Dressing
- ¾ cup orange juice (fresh squeezed)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a blender, combine orange juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper together and let blender run at medium speed.
- Slowly pour olive oil in the running blender until all ingredients are completely emulsified. Set aside.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 290 Protein: 7 gm Total Carbohydrates: 32gm Fiber: 6gm
Total Fat: 16gm Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 85mg (without adding salt to the dressing)
Recipe & photo courtesy of Fruits From Chile
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market