12 Great Ways To Use Greek Yogurt
Jun 13, 2016
12 Great Ways To Use
Greek yogurt is a key ingredient in the Mediterranean diet. It is thicker and creamier than regular
yogurt since most of the whey has been strained out, and it has a delicious tangy flavor. Plus, it
contains twice the protein of regular yogurt and less lactose as well, making it suitable for some
people who suffer from lactose intolerance. Eaten plain, it’s a perfect snack. Used in cooking, it
lightens, moistens, and supports fresh flavors. And it serves as an excellent stand-in for mayonnaise.
Here are some easy ways to use it:
1. Mix Greek yogurt with lemon juice and capers to create a sublime sauce for salmon.
2. Top a bowl of oatmeal or granola with Greek yogurt and fresh berries. Or, layer granola, Greek yogurt, and fresh fruit in a glass to
make a breakfast parfait.
3. Spoon Greek yogurt on top of a dish of roasted vegetables.
4. Combine Greek yogurt with minced garlic, fresh herbs, and extra-virgin olive oil for an instant salad dressing.
5. Make a delicious dressing for chicken or seafood salad by combining Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, and dried or chopped, fresh tarragon.
6. Blend Greek yogurt with honey, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a dash of cinnamon to make a quick sauce for berries or peaches.
7. Use Greek yogurt instead of cream in cold soups.
8. Make a smoothie using Greek yogurt, fresh or frozen berries, and ice.
9. Top pizza dough with Greek yogurt, roasted vegetables, and shredded cheese, and bake at 425°F for about 10 minutes.
10. Combine yogurt, diced cucumbers, garlic, and a bit of extra-virgin olive oil to make a dip for whole grain bread or vegetables.
11. Combine Greek yogurt with a bit of unsweetened peanut butter for an instant snack.
12. Enjoy Greek yogurt topped with honey and chopped walnuts for a dessert treat.
Information Courtesy of:
Mediterranean Foods Alliance and Oldways Nutrition Exchange
Hope Danielson, Director of Health and Wellness for County Market