Grab N' Go Fruits & Veggies
Sep 01, 2016
September is Fruits & Veggies More Matters ® Month and theme is Grab N’ Go!
Here are some quick Grab N’ Go ideas to add more fruits and vegetables to your day!
--Make individual snack bags with sugar snap peas & sweet cherry tomatoes and mini bell peppers and containers of ranch or hummus for dipping.
--Try bell peppers sliced into strips, tossed with fresh lime juice and chili powder
--Make fruit nachos with sliced Asian Pear or Honeycrisp Apple topped with peanut butter, raisins, and slivered almonds.
--Applesauce pouches & 100% fruit cups make eating Fruits & Veggies easy when you are on the go!
--Frozen berries & mixed fruit are easy to portion out in containers (a few days at a time) to thaw in the fridge overnight so you have a healthy Grab n’ Go snack every day!
--Single serving boxes of raisins, cans of 100% Grape juice and V8 juice are portable, which makes them the perfect Grab N’ Go snack or thirst quencher when on a bike ride or walk.
--Freeze red or green grapes drizzled with dark chocolate for an easy dessert.
Here is an easy Grab N’ Go Breakfast recipe!!
Tropical Overnight Oats
Prep Time: 5 minutes Number of servings: 1
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup milk or unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ of a ripe banana, mashed
- ½ cup diced mango fresh or frozen (thawed first if using frozen)
- 1 kiwi, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (these can be added in the morning or that night)
- Pinch of Cinnamon (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together in a glass jar, cup, or bowl. Stir well and cover.
- Place in your fridge overnight.
- In the morning top with any extras such as chopped nuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, or flaxseed.
Nutrition Facts (for the total recipe, doesn’t include additional toppings):
Calories: 426 Total Fat: 8.7gm Protein: 18 gm Total Carbohydrates: 75gm
Cholesterol: 2.5mg Dietary Fiber: 10gm Sodium: 84mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market