What to Do With All That Leftover Turkey
Nov 25, 2016
Thanksgiving may be over but your abundance of leftover turkey may seemingly go on forever!
Leftover turkey won’t last forever in your fridge before going bad so it needs to be used up!
Don’t wait until it’s too late and then you have to toss it – After the BIG Meal freeze any portions of the chilled leftover turkey that you know you will not be able to consume over the next 3-4 days so you can use it in recipes later on.
There are many ways you can use the leftover turkey without freezing it as well. Any recipe that calls for boiled, shredded or rotisserie style chicken, you can use the turkey instead.
For example, Chicken and Wild Rice Soup can become Turkey and Wild Rice Soup!
Here is a recipe below to help you use up some of that leftover turkey!
Asian Turkey Noodle Soup
Total Cook/Prep Time: 20 minutes Makes: 4 servings
- 4oz thin rice noodles
- 4 cups unsalted or low sodium chicken or turkey stock
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 2inch long piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced and mashed (you will remove later)
- 1 ½ tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 medium head of bok choy or napa cabbage (can also use green cabbage), sliced ¼ inch thick crosswise strips (need about 3 cups)
- 2 cups shredded or chopped leftover turkey
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Add rice noodles to a large bowl and cover with hot water and let sit to soften the noodles.
- In a large soup pot, bring the broth to a boil along with the garlic, ginger and soy sauce then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on. Then discard the ginger.
- Add the rice noodles to the pot and cook until they are almost see-through (about 4-6 minutes).
- Add the bok choy or napa cabbage to the pot along with the turkey and cook for about 5 minutes or until the cabbage just starts to become tender.
- Divide evenly among 4 bowls & top with sliced green onions and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 240 Protein: 26gm Total Carbohydrates: 27gm Fiber: 1.3gm
Total Fat: 2.5gm Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 385mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market