Holly Jolly Red & Green Couscous
Dec 15, 2016
Add some Holly Jolly color to your dinner table this month with red & green foods! This is a super easy recipe that takes only 12 minutes to prepare.
Need a few more reasons to Red & Green to your Dinner Plate???
Red foods like apples, pomegranate, cherries, strawberries, red bell peppers, and tomatoes may help reduce your risk of developing cancer, help boost your immune system and can even help support a healthy heart!
Green foods like green grapes, green apples, kiwi, asparagus, broccoli, and green bell peppers may help to lower blood pressure, LDL cholesterol levels, and help with digestion.
Prep/Cook Time: 10 minutes Number of Servings: 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups of water
- 6oz couscous (quick cooking style)
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Black pepper
- Sprinkle of parsley (if fresh use 1-2 tablespoons chopped)
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Bring water to a boil in a large sauce pan.
- Add olive oil to the pot along with the uncooked couscous, red and green bell peppers, garlic, black pepper & dried parsley to the pot and mix well.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat source and let sit for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and fluff with a spoon to incorporate and serve.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
- If you like your food a little spicy, add some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 212 Protein: 7.5gm Total Carbohydrates: 34gm Fiber: 2.3gm
Total Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 106mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market