Naughty But Nice Dessert
Dec 01, 2016
Mini desserts are the way to go as long as you don’t have too many! When indulgent foods like sweets are portion controlled, especially into bite-size pieces, we are less likely to overdo it.
Think about it this way, when you eat a “slice of pie,” the slices can range drastically from a small slice up to a very large slice (which could be double or triple what you should have). This makes it hard to judge just what a portion size should look like.
Mini Desserts like the recipe below are a great way to have a little taste of something sweet & satisfying. Most of us after eating the big holiday meal aren’t even truly “hungry” or have room for dessert, but eat it anyways.
This way you don’t have to worry so much about how many calories are in them as long as you just have 1 or 2.
Mini Baklava Dessert Cups
Prep/Cook Time: 15 minutes Number of Servings: 15
- 1 (15 count) package mini phyllo cups
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cardamom (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and arrange phyllo cups on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, stir together nuts, melted butter, honey, orange zest, spices and salt.
- Spoon a generous amount of the nut mixture into each of the phyllo cups.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until just golden.
- Drizzle with additional honey before serving, if desired.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 86 Protein: 1.8gm Total Carbohydrates: 8.3gm Sugar: 5gm Fiber: 0.8gm
Total Fat: 5.5gm Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 23mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market