A Very Peary Christmas to You!
Dec 08, 2016
With all the holiday shopping and gatherings this time of year we can feel a little crunched for time to eat.
Whether you need some fuel in between the hustle and bustle or a festive appetizer to prepare for an upcoming party – we have you covered!
- Fresh Fruit & Veggie Platters are an easy choice because the work is done for you!
- A variety of cheeses & whole grain crackers or slices of apples & pears are a satisfying snack or appetizer choice.
- Shrimp cocktail is a fancy & low calorie appetizer that is sure to please your guests.
- Spinach & Greek yogurt based cheese dips aren’t skimpy on flavor but ARE skimpy on calories – serve with celery sticks, pretzel thins, & carrot sticks.
- Mixed olives are perfect for a bite-sized treat that provides heart-healthy fats – just be careful how many you pop in your mouth as the calories can add up quickly!
- Crostini with melted parmesan cheese, sliced ripe pear, fresh dill & dried cranberries on top make a festive appetizer choice.
- Fresh salads with whole grain tortilla chips are perfect for a quick snack or pre-meal appetizer – See the recipe below for a Salsa that using Seasonal Fresh Produce!
Here’s to Wishing you a Very Peary ……..I mean Merry Christmas!
Pomegranate Pear Salsa
Prep Time: 15 minutes Number of Servings: 6
- 2 ripe pears (Bartlett or Bosc), cored and diced
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- ½ medium sized red onion, diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ of a lime, juiced
- Black pepper, to taste
- Sea salt, optional
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl, and season to your taste preference.
- Chill or serve immediately with whole grain tortilla chips or pita chips. It will last up to 2 days in the fridge in an air-tight container.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 73 Total Fat: 0gm Protein: 0.8gm Total Carbohydrates: 19gm
Cholesterol: 0mg Dietary Fiber: 2.7gm Sodium: 0mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market