What to Do With Leftover Ham
Dec 27, 2016
My family always serves turkey on Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas….and just like Thanksgiving; we always seem to have a ton of leftovers!
Ham & bean or split pea soup is often an easy way to use up some of that leftover ham, but you can make many different things with leftover ham.
For example, you can make a chef salad with ham instead of turkey or chicken, ham & Swiss cheese Paninis with caramelized onions & mushrooms or breakfast egg & sweet potato casserole with ham, spinach, onions & cheese.
Here is a family friendly recipe that uses ham & pineapple together with peppery arugula & onion as toppings for this delicious & easy pizza!
Ham Pineapple & Arugula Pizza
Prep/Cook Time: 35 minutes Number of Servings: 4
- 1 Essential Every Day Thin Wheat pizza crust (they come 2 to a package) *
*You can double the recipe & use the other pizza crust if you like or use it for a different kind of pizza
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 4oz ball of fresh Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced into about 8-10 slices (it’s okay if it falls apart or you don’t have perfect circular shapes)
- 1 ¼ cup fresh pineapple, diced (or you can use canned, drained packed in 100% juice)
- 1 cup leftover ham, sliced into strips or cubes (your preference)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups arugula, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lay pizza crust on a baking sheet.
- Once pre-heated, bake for 5 minutes until the crust is slightly crisp, remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a medium sized skillet heat olive oil over medium heat and add red onion. Stir frequently and cook for about 6-9 minutes or until the onion starts to brown and becomes more translucent.
- Add garlic to skillet and cook for another 2 minutes (just long enough to become fragrant) and turn heat to low to keep warm.
- Arrange fresh slices of mozzarella on top of the pizza crust followed by the fresh pineapple. Make sure to spread the cheese & pineapple evenly over the crust.
- Next evenly distribute the ham on top of the pizza and add some fresh cracked black pepper on top.
- Place pizza in the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes (or until cheese has melted and crust is nice and crispy).
- Remove from oven and top with chopped arugula and caramelized red onions & garlic. Slice into 8 equal parts and enjoy!
--For added flavor, try brushing garlic infused olive oil over crust before step 2 in directions or use jarred pasta sauce.
--You can also substitute block mozzarella cheese for the fresh mozzarella, which melts better.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 370 Protein: 16.7gm Total Carbohydrates: 41gm Fiber: 4gm
Total Fat: 16gm Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 578mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market