Did someone say bacon?
Jun 08, 2017
Did someone say bacon?? While bacon isn’t something I personally eat a lot of or all that often, there are a few go-to foods that bacon just goes really well with!
One of my personal and favorite ways to have bacon in the summertime is on a BLT…..but I like to use avocado or guacamole instead of mayonnaise as a spread.
Another way to incorporate the flavor of bacon without eating too much of it is using it as a topping on salads – For example, a wilted spinach salad sprinkled with bacon, sliced strawberries, chopped walnuts, a pinch of blue cheese & an oil and vinegar based dressing.
Here is a twist on the classic twice baked potato made a little lighter using cauliflower instead of potatoes! Enjoy.
Twice Baked Cauliflower
Prep/Cook Time: 30 minutes Number of Servings: 4
- ½ large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup 2% Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt-free Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or scallions
- 2 tablespoons cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Place cauliflower in a covered microwave-safe bowl without adding water and cook on high for about 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place cooked cauliflower in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the yogurt and butter and process again until it is a smooth texture.
- Place cauliflower mixture back in bowl and add cheddar cheese, black pepper, Greek seasoning, and garlic. Then mix ingredients until well incorporated.
- Spray 4 ramekins or oven-safe dishes with non-stick cooking spray and fill each with the cauliflower mixture almost to the top.
- Sprinkle the chopped scallions & bacon (if using) on top and place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes on the middle rack and then turn the oven to broil for a few minutes until the tops have lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 161 Protein: 13.6gm Total Carbohydrates: 8gm Fiber: 2.7gm
Total Fat: 10gm Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 322mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market