Juicy Ripe Strawberries
Jun 15, 2017
Nothing smells quite as delicious as a red ripe strawberry in the summertime! Berries are one of my favorite fruits to eat this time of year because they are bite sized and only require a quick rinsing before indulging.
While I do love strawberries all by themselves, they are also delicious in fruit salads, salsas, smoothies, oatmeal, homemade jam, & of course pie….but have you ever thought about using strawberries to make hummus??
I know it sounds weird doesn’t it….but it is oddly refreshing!!
Try this tasty recipe below for the flavors of summer from the grilled chicken, onions & ripe juicy strawberries.
You might be shocked at how yummy this berrylicious hummus is rather than using your traditional condiments on your sandwich or pita bread!
Strawberry Hummus Pita Sandwiches
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Number of Servings: 4
Strawberry Hummus Ingredients:
- 2 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
- 1-14.5oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 whole wheat pitas rounds, cut in half (should have 4 half-circles)
- 1 cup grilled thinly sliced chicken breast or shredded rotisserie chicken breast
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup sliced cucumber
- 4 medium strawberries, hulled and sliced or diced
- 1 bunch butter lettuce, watercress, or spinach
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Blend the 2 cups strawberries, garbanzo beans, lemon juice, black pepper, and salt (if using) in a food processor or blender until ingredients have completely mixed and smooth. May need to scrape down the sides of your processor/blender and pulse a few more times.
- Spread the strawberry hummus mixture evenly inside the 4 pita pocket halves. Fill them with the chicken, onions, cucumbers, sliced strawberries, lettuce, and feta. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 348 Protein: 24gm Total Fat: 7gm Total Carbohydrates: 50gm
Fiber: 12gm Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 568mg (without adding salt in the hummus directions)
Recipe courtesy of California Strawberry Commission
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market