Caprese Stuffed Chicken
Dec 07, 2017
In the winter months when the weather is frigid and you can no longer grill out when entertaining you have to get creative with your cooking!
This is the time of year when we turn to comfort foods like casseroles, rich pastas and stews since they have a warming effect, but sometimes you want something a bit fancier than a casserole to impress your holiday guests……
This Caprese Stuffed chicken recipe is not only yummy but also has that wow factor – did I mention it is chicken stuffed with cheese?? – What’s not to like!
Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Prep/Cook Time: 1 hour Number of Servings: 4
- 4-4oz chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thick
- 8oz fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 thin slices or 4 large slices
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons jarred sun dried tomatoes in oil
- Salt-free Greek seasoning
- Black pepper to taste
- Garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or use non-stick aluminum foil.
- Place chicken breasts down on baking sheet and then top each with fresh mozzarella slices.
- Next place a few fresh basil leaves on top of the cheese and 1 tablespoon of sun-dried tomatoes in the center of each chicken breast (on top of the basil). Evenly spread over chicken.
- Season with black pepper and Greek seasoning.
- Roll each chicken breast tightly and secure it with 2-3 toothpicks like you would a wrap.
- Season the tops again with pepper and Greek seasoning and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake at 375ºF for 45 minutes or until the chicken turns golden brown and the juices run clear. Carefully remove all toothpicks before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 366 Protein: 36gm Total Carbohydrates: 2gm Fiber: 0.5gm
Total Fat: 22gm Cholesterol: 110mg Sodium: 302mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market