Back To School Lunch Idea
Aug 10, 2015
Back to school is here….All of us parents are rejoicing…Yippee!!!!! So I’m always trying to think of something healthy I can put in my kids lunches instead of the usual fare i.e. peanut butter, bologna, etc. Since I always have leftovers in the fridge I thought it would be fun to put together a healthy chicken salad. This recipe puts a healthy spin on the usual chicken salad by using low fat mayo and low fat Greek yogurt. The kids won’t even notice and will love the addition of grapes and apples. Yummy for the kids and healthy. Score 1 for mom!!!!!
Chicken Waldorf Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
This recipe is a perfect way to use leftover chicken. With just 15 minutes of prep time, this recipe will be ready in a snap. No leftovers? Use the quick tip below for poaching boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can also use store-bought rotisserie chicken. If you do, keep in mind that it’s already salty and omit the salt in the dressing.
1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1/3 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1 unit medium red apple, diced
1 cup halved red or green grapes
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, divided (toasted if desired)
1. Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl.
2. Add chicken, apple, grapes, celery and half of the walnuts. Stir to coat well.
3. Serve topped with the remaining walnuts.
Quick Tip: If you want cooked chicken in a hurry, the easiest way to cook it is to poach it (one pound of raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts yields about 2½ cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken).
- Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan.
- Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle (approx 10-15 minutes).
Key Nutrients Amount % Daily Value*
Hope Danielson, Director of Health and Wellness for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »