Fall Soup Recipe
Sep 14, 2015
Fall is just around the corner and it's one of my most favorite times year. Cool, crisp air; the smell of burning leaves; beatuful fall colors; I love everything about it!!!! Especially the foods of fall like soups, stews, and chili. I love one pot meals that can be made ahead of time and then reheated for a quick week night meal. Here is a delicious soup that will satisfy the whole family. Not only does it offer up veggies like beans, tomatoes and onion but it also gets a super boost in protein from the chicken and ham. Serve with a side of cornbread for a delicious fall meal.
Great Northern Bean Soup
Great Northern beans are white beans that have a mild flavor.
2 cups great northern beans (dry)
1/2 pound chicken (thawed, cut up, and skin removed)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup tomatoes (diced, or 1/2 can, about 8 ounces, low-sodium diced tomatoes)
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- In a medium-size bowl, soak beans in 3 cups of water overnight.
- Drain the water and rinse beans.
- In a large pot, brown onion, chicken, and ham in oil over medium to high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, beans, and salt to pot. Mix well.
- Bring pot to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Lower heat and cook for about 1 hour. Stir pot every 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and vinegar to pot. Keep cooking over low heat for about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »