Mini Mummy Meatloaves
Oct 28, 2015
Here is a fun & festive meatloaf recipe for you to make this Halloween that is inspired by a Woman’s Day recipe!
Serve it with any of the other Halloween inspired recipes posted on the Live Well blog this month!
Photo Courtesy of Woman's Day
Mini Mummy Meat Loaves
Prep/Cook Time: 45 minutes Number of Servings: 6
For the Mashed Potato topping:
- 1 lb (about 2 medium) Yukon gold or Red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk or unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Dash of white pepper, optional
- 24 frozen green peas, thawed
For the Meat Loaves:
- 1 ¼ lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 cup grated zucchini, all moisture squeezed dry with paper towel
- 2 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium Worchestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place 12 foil liners into the muffin tin.
- Add potatoes to a large pot along with enough water to cover them and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot once it has reached a boil and reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and place them back in the large pot with the minced garlic, Greek yogurt, chicken broth, milk, olive oil, parmesan cheese, white pepper & salt (if using).
- Using a potato masher or immersion blender, mash or blend until smooth. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Keep them on low to stay warm or leave the lid on the pot.
- In a large bowl add the ground turkey, zucchini, onion, panko bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, ketchup, Worchestershire sauce, egg and salt (if using). Combine ingredients until mixed well.
- Using a large spoon place the meat & veggie mixture evenly into the 12 muffin tins until they are filled to the top. Flatten the tops with your spoon by packing them down.
- Bake mini meat loaves for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and then transfer to a platter.
- Transfer warm mashed potatoes to a pastry bag or zip & seal type of bag with a ½ inch Ribbon tip on the end (Tip: cut a small corner off the end of your zip & seal bag) and pipe the potatoes back and forth over the top of each mini meat loaf to resemble a mummy’s wrapping.
- Finish the mummy face by placing 2 green peas on it near the top of one side for the eyes.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, without using salt)
Calories: 328 Protein: 26gm Total Carbohydrates: 33gm Fiber: 3.5gm
Total Fat: 11gm Cholesterol: 99mg Sodium: 276mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »