Spook-tacular Fruit Cups for Halloween
Oct 01, 2015
Before October is even here my Halloween decorations, lights, and spooky themed tableware are up!!
It has been one of my favorite holidays ever since I was little and that is probably because my mother put so much time and effort into making it so exciting.
From homemade Halloween treats and crafts to pumpkin carving and making spooky foods such as her famous “floating hand” in a witch’s brew bucket that she filled with a dark blackish fruit punch, any kid would be delighted!
I’d like to think I get my creativity and patience from her, but I still don’t know how she pulled it all off!
Here is a fun kid and adult-friendly recipe for a Halloween themed party or treat for your kids to bring to school.
Spook-tacular Fruit Cups
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Number of Servings: 8
- 8 oranges (1 orange for each Fruit Cup)
- Orange segments (that you removed to make the orange cups)
- 1 cup Melon balls
- 1 cup Grapes
- 1 cup Blueberries
- Cut off the top 1/5 of each orange off.
- Using a paring knife, separate the fruit from the inside of the orange by cutting the fruit flesh in a circle and leave the peel behind to make a “cup.” It’s not necessary to get all of the flesh out, just enough to fill with cut fruit.
- If necessary, shave a small amount of peel off the bottom so the cups sit level, being careful not to create an opening in the base.
- Use a paring knife to carve a pumpkin face and fill each cup with your choice of orange pieces, melon balls, grapes and blueberries
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 90 Total Fat: 0gm Protein: 1.5gm Total Carbohydrates: 22gm
Cholesterol: 0mg Dietary Fiber: 4gm Sodium: 5mg
Recipe & photos courtesy of Fruits from Chile
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »