Autumn Apple & Pumpkin Quinoa
Nov 04, 2015
Are you still not ready to try quinoa just yet? Not sure what to do with it or maybe you really like rice and don’t want to swap it out in savory recipes?
Maybe you haven’t thought of using quinoa in the place of oatmeal as a sweeter recipe for breakfast or using it to make muffins!!
Here is a recipe with the perfect blend of Autumn flavors for a breakfast bowl that will not only warm you up, but will fill you up far more than a bowl of cold cereal!
If it is not sweet enough for you then you can always adjust the 100% Maple syrup or use honey to add a little more sweetness. Enjoy!
Autumn Apple & Pumpkin Breakfast Quinoa
Photo courtesy of Ancient Harvest
Preparation Time: 20minutes Number of Servings: 6
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk or skim milk extra ¼ cup to ½ cup
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed
- ¾ cup pure canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup diced, peeled apples (such as honeycrisp or fuji)
- ½ tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons 100% Maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, (optional)
- In a medium-sized pot combine the water and 2 cups almond milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the rinsed quinoa to the pot along with the pumpkin puree, diced apples, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the liquid is gone.
- Remove from heat and stir in the ground flaxseed, and chopped walnuts if using as well as any extra almond milk to make it creamy in consistency.
- If you prefer it to be sweeter than you can adjust the amount of honey or 100% pure maple syrup that you add to your bowl just before serving.
- Add raw pumpkin seeds in the place of the walnuts for a different texture
- Use unsweetened applesauce or very ripe bananas to sweeten it up without using honey or syrup
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 280 Protein: 8gm Total Carbohydrates: 45gm Fiber: 6gm
Total Fat: 8.6gm Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 89 mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »