Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
Nov 05, 2015
Thanksgiving will be here before you know it and for many of us that means time to cook & eat lots of food!
We can all enjoy cooking & eating some of our favorite family recipes, but remember that that average calories consumed per person at Thanksgiving is well over 4,500 calories!!
Holiday meals are often loaded with too much total fat, saturated fat, calories, salt, and sugar, so choose recipes that you can easily make healthy “swaps” to and keep only a few of your traditional recipes the same.
You don’t have to sacrifice taste to make your sides a bit healthier. Here is a recipe that brings out the natural sweetness (caramelized flavor) in veggies with a sprinkle of cheese on top!
Photo courtesy of Eating Well
Parmesan & Balsamic-Roasted Broccoli
Time to prepare/cook: 15 minutes Servings: about 4 servings
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (I call them mini trees), with bottom part of stem removed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup grated or shaved parmesan cheese
- Black pepper, garlic powder and salt to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Meanwhile, toss broccoli florets in a large bowl with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt (if using).
- Spread seasoned broccoli out evenly over a baking sheet (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray)
- Roast in the oven for about 10-12 minutes until broccoli has lightly browned and is tender (use a fork to test for tenderness).
- Finally sprinkle with the ¼ cup grated or shaved parmesan cheese and serve (if you want to melt the cheese faster, place back in warm oven for 1-2 minutes).
- For a quicker prep, buy pre-cut broccoli florets and then toss with some olive oil and herbs and you are good to go!
- You can do this with any veggies such as cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, carrot slices, etc.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 95 Protein: 6.4gm Total Carbohydrates: 8.5gm Fiber: 4.6gm
Total Fat: 5.3g Cholesterol: 3.6mg Sodium: 127mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »