Dec 17, 2015
It’s about time to plan your holiday meal and the colors Red & Green are sure to add some festive flavor to your dinner table.
Red fruits & veggies like apples, pomegranate, cherries, beets, red bell peppers, and tomatoes may help reduce your risk of developing cancer, help boost your immune system and can even help support a healthy heart!
Green fruits & veggies like green grapes, green apples, kiwi, asparagus, broccoli, and green bell peppers may help to lower blood pressure and LDL cholesterol levels, and help with digestion.
Here’s a colorful recipe that sings “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas!”
Photo courtesy of Betty Crocker
Minutes to Prepare: 5 Minutes to Cook: 5 Number of Servings: 4
- 6oz couscous (quick cooking style)
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups of water
- Bring water to a boil in a large sauce pan. Add olive oil.
- Meanwhile, place uncooked couscous, red and green bell peppers, garlic, and Parmesan cheese in a bowl and mix well.
- Add couscous mixture to boiling water, reduce heat to a simmer and keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a spoon and serve.
- Add some fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- If you like your food a little spicy, add some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 212 Protein: 7.5gm Total Carbohydrates: 34gm Fiber: 2.3gm
Total Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 106mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market