Cherry Wild Rice & Quinoa Salad
Jan 01, 2016
Here is a healthy & savory recipe using sweet Chilean Cherries! Hurry because these cherries are only available for a short time....
Cherry, Wild Rice & Quinoa Salad
Prep/Cook Time: 55 minutes Number of Servings: 8 (3/4 cup is a serving)
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups fresh Chilean cherries, pitted and cut in half
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fruity vinegar (raspberry, strawberry or other)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large saucepan, bring six cups of water to a boil. Add wild rice and cook for 30 minutes on medium heat. Add quinoa and cook until both rice and quinoa are tender, approximately 15 minutes more.
- Drain excess water and rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.
- Toast sliced/chopped pecans in a small, dry skillet over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until lightly browned (approximately 3 minutes). Let pecans cool.
- Combine oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until well blended. Add the rice and quinoa to the bowl and mix. Add cherries, celery, Monterey Jack, and chopped pecans, and toss gently. Salad is best served at room temperature, but cold is fine.
Recipe & Photo courtesy of Chilean Fresh Fruit Association
Nutrition Facts (per serving, doesn’t include salt):
Calories: Total Fat: 202gm Protein: 5gm Total Fat: 13gm Sodium: 81mg
Total Carbohydrates: 18.7gm Cholesterol: 8.5mg Dietary Fiber: 2.4gm
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market