Parmesan Panko Crusted Chicken Tenders
Feb 25, 2016
Hopefully everyone is still holding strong to their New Year’s goals of eating a bit healthier and exercising a bit more, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still have yummy foods that are referred to as “forbidden” foods when sticking to your eating plan like chicken nuggets, pizza, and fries.
These types of foods can still be enjoyed every now and then, but if you want to have these foods more often and still be successful at losing weight or keeping the weight you have already lost OFF…….then all you need to do is make them yourself!
Anything you cook at home or prepare from scratch will Almost ALWAYS be a healthier option then buying them at a restaurant or fast food place.
Recipes to make these yummy foods can be very “Simple” and tasty, but most importantly pretty healthy too….So give it a try!
Parmesan Panko-Crusted Chicken Tenders
Prep/Cook Time: 30 minutes Number of Servings: 8
- 2 packages Chicken Breast Tenders (about 2 pounds)
- 2 eggs, beaten in a shallow bowl
- 2 ½ cups plain panko style bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Create an “assembly line” and set the prepared baking sheet at the end of the counter for the last step.
- Place bowl of beaten eggs on the counter as the first step.
- In a large bowl add the panko bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, black pepper, and salt if using. Toss well to combine and place as the second step for you dredging mixture.
- Dip a chicken tender into the beaten eggs to coat all sides and then allow the excess to drip back into the bowl.
- Next dredge the egg coated chicken tender into the panko mixture coating all sides evenly and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat this process with all remaining chicken tenders.
- Bake panko chicken tenders for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees, flipping once halfway through until the chicken is completely cooked.
--Serve chicken tenders with roasted potatoes, steamed or roasted asparagus, and fresh fruit such as strawberries on the side.
--For a little heat you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the dredging mixture.
--Try using prepared guacamole or Dijon mustard to dip your tenders in.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, does not include any salt added in recipe):
Calories: 266 Protein: 36gm Total Carbohydrates: 20gm Fiber: 0.8gm
Total Fat: 4.6gm Cholesterol: 135gm Sodium: 209mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »