Southwest Black Bean & Mango Quinoa
Feb 03, 2016
If you still haven’t tried quinoa yet you should give it a go!! Quinoa contains all 9 essential amino acids, is full of fiber and takes on whatever flavors you are cooking with.
This is an easy one-pot vegetarian recipe that can be cooked up in no time. It has a complete source of protein, is loaded with flavor and the ingredients will fill you up!
Southwest Style Black Bean & Mango Quinoa
Prep/Cook Time: 25 minutes Number of Servings: 6
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- ½ of Sweet Onion, diced
- ½ cup Sweet Mini Peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 tsp. cumin or more to taste
- ½ tsp. chili powder or more to taste
- Salt (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (no salt added)
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh Mango, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sauté onion, garlic, and sweet mini peppers in olive oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Cook until soft.
- Add quinoa and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add spices and reduce heat to low.
- Cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fluff with fork and add black beans, chopped tomatoes, mango and cilantro. Stir until combined and cook for 2-4 more minutes.
Nutrition Facts (for the recipe does NOT include salt):
Calories: 220 Total Fat: 4.6gm Protein: 9gm Total Carbohydrates: 40gm
Cholesterol: 0mg Dietary Fiber: 6gm Sodium: 327mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »