St. Patrick's Day Pasta
Mar 17, 2016
Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone! Today is all about Green….green clothes, green food, and perhaps a green beverage?
Why not eat Green food all day long! Start your morning off with a Green smoothie for Breakfast followed by a guacamole-chicken salad for Lunch and end your day with this tasty Green pasta dish for Dinner.
Still not enough Green for you????? Then add some fresh asparagus to this recipe for added crunch!
Arugula Pesto Penne with Chicken & Peas
Minutes to Prepare: 25 Number of Servings: 8
- 1 lb whole grain penne pasta
- 1-12oz container fresh arugula, washed and dried
- 1 cup walnuts or pine nuts, lightly toasted (toasting is optional, but is extra yummy)
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, warmed
- 2 cups cooked or grilled chicken
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Fill a large pot with 6 quarts of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta until al dente (according to package instructions) then drain pasta, but reserve about ½ cup of the water from the pot.
- Meanwhile, add arugula, walnuts, and garlic cloves to a food processor and pulse until it breaks up (about 15 seconds). Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and add the salt (if using) and pepper.
- Pulse for another 5-10 seconds and scrape down the sides one more time. Turn on the food processor and gradually add the olive oil in a slow stream until it is fully incorporated.
- Set aside. Return the drained pasta back to the large pot over medium heat and drizzle with a little olive oil. Add ½ cup of the arugula pesto to the pasta along with the reserved ½ cup of water and stir well to incorporate.
- Add the parmesan cheese, cooked chicken, and peas. Adjust pepper and seasonings before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 400 Protein: 23gm Total Carbohydrates: 46gm Fiber: 4gm
Total Fat: 14gm Sodium: 224mg (if you add the salt)
Recipe courtesy of the Oldways http://oldwayspt.org
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »