Memorial Day The Healthy Way
May 23, 2016
When you think of Memorial Day, healthy may not be the first image that pops into your head. But it is possible to make your holiday better for you by making healthful choices. It just takes a little effort. And, you won't sacrifice any of the flavor. Here are some tips to help:
* Choose leaner meats to grill such as ground turkey burgers, extra lean ground beef or grilled, skinless chicken breasts.
* Grill a variety of vegetables—any vegetable can be grilled: portabella mushrooms, bell peppers, red onions, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini or squash. Just brush a light coating of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, or any type of marinade. Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste. Then toss them straight on the barbecue or slide the vegetables on to a skewer or wrap them in foil.
* Trim the fat off meat before grilling—cut off excess fat from the sides of meat before cooking and cut off inside, separable fat before eating.
* Keep meat portions small—cut the meat into chunks and combine with vegetables on a skewer. Use meat as an accent to the meal, rather than the main dish. Remember that around 3 ounces is a serving size (the size of a deck of cards). Follow the myplate guidelines: fill ½ your plate with fruit and vegetables, ¼ protein and ¼ grains.
* Grill some fruit for dessert—pineapple, mangos, apples, peaches, or bananas—just about any fruit can be grilled. Either slice fruit into big wedges, or chop it into cubes and skewer. Cooking usually takes about 6 to 8 minutes; make sure you turn the fruit occasionally.
Here's a great recipe to celebrate the Memorial Holiday!!!
Chicken Skewers with Tzatziki Sauce
- The juice of 2 large lemons
- 1 dried oregano
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- To prepare chicken, combine the first 6 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to combine. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 2 hours, turning once.
- To prepare tzatziki sauce, combine cucumber, yogurt, vinegar, salt and garlic clove in medium bowl. Refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Soak wooden skewers in a bowl of water for about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade and thread onto the soaked skewers. Discard unused marinade.
- Cook the skewers on grill; turning frequently until nicely browned on all sides and chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 8 minutes per side. Serve with tzatziki sauce.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Calories: 143 Protein: 11gm Total Carbohydrates: 4gm Fiber: 0.3gm
Total Fat: 9gm Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 415mg
Hope Danielson, Director of Health and Wellness for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »