Staying Hydrated During The Summer
Jul 11, 2016
We all know that it’s important to keep hydrated, especially as the temperatures start to climb. Unfortunately many of us choose “not so healthy beverages” to hydrate with throughout the day. Many of these beverages are not only high in sugar but can also have the opposite effect on us leaving us dehydrated. Here are some great choices when looking to quench your thirst this summer:
- Water---I know we hear it all the time but water truly is the best choice. Your body craves water so it’s super important to get plenty of it throughout the day. Try flavoring your water with fresh mint, lemon and cucumber. You can also make homemade flavored ice cubes by taking a 100% juice and mixing in chopped berries and herbs, pour into ice cube trays and use to help keep your water cool and delicious.
- Tea—Iced tea is especially good in the summer time and tea is loaded with antioxidants. Try buying flavored tea bags such as raspberry, blueberry or lemon. These add a lot of flavor without any calories. If you like sweet tea, try sweetening your own by using a little honey.
- Sparkling water—Sparkling water mixed with 100% fruit juice is a great alternative to soda. Try mixing 100% pomegranate juice with sparkling water and a twist of lime. DELICIOUS!!!!
- Fruit—Fruits like berries, oranges and watermelon are filled with water and can help keep you hydrated on a hot day. Plus you get all the great nutrients and fiber.
- Veggies—Vegetables are filled with water. Try a leafy green salad at lunch or cucumbers and celery for a snack.
Hope Danielson, Director of Health and Wellness for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »