Sometimes Being "Cheesy" is a Good Thing!
Nov 10, 2016
Spaghetti Squash is in season right now! One of the best things about this type of squash is that it is incredibly low in calories & carbohydrates.
Compared to regular spaghetti pasta (at 440 calories for 2 cups), spaghetti squash has only around 60 calories for 2 cups, so you can feel free to fill your plate with this kind of “Spaghetti” because you can’t go wrong!
Spaghetti squash is an excellent source of magnesium, potassium, vitamins C & A and a good source of calcium.
Here is a tasty, lower-carb twist on a classic side dish that everyone will enjoy!
Baked Spaghetti Squash au Gratin
Prep/Cook Time: 40 minutes Number of Servings: 6
- 1 Medium Spaghetti Squash (about 2 ½ to 3 lbs)
Note: You can pierce the squash several times & microwave it for about 2 minutes to make it easier for you to cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme sprigs for garnishing
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup 0% Greek yogurt
- ½ cup original unsweetened almond milk or low-fat milk
- ½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ tablespoon onion flakes
- Pinch of paprika (for color, optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half with a very sharp knife & remove the seeds. Microwave for about 10 minutes with the cut-side down in a covered, microwave-safe dish with ¼ of an inch of water in the dish.
- Meanwhile in a medium-sized skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté garlic, onions, thyme, and cayenne until onions have softened and turned slightly brown.
- Scrape the cooked flesh of the spaghetti squash into a large bowl along with the cooked onion mixture.
- Add the Greek yogurt, milk, ¼ cup of the cheddar cheese and 1 tablespoon of the parmesan cheese to the bowl and mix well to combine.
- Place in a large baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and evenly sprinkle remaining ¼ cup cheddar, 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, onion flakes, and paprika on top and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown in color on the top.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 147 Protein: 8.4gm Total Carbohydrates: 16gm Fiber: 3gm
Total Fat: 6gm Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 150mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »