What to Do With an Acorn Squash
Nov 09, 2016
Looking for different ways to use Acorn Squash other than the go-to buttery & sugary deliciousness?
Try these ideas for preparing acorn squash:
- Mix thin slices of acorn squash with whole wheat pasta noodles and cook according to the spaghetti package. This boosts your pasta with vitamins & minerals.
- Steam it! Thinly slice your acorn squash, then add a little cinnamon, ginger or nutmeg and either steam or microwave it for a low calorie side dish!
- Roast it! Cube the acorn squash and mix with other chopped veggies like turnips, parsnips, carrots, potatoes and onions. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, a pinch of salt & some pepper and roast at 400 degrees until they are fork tender.
- Stuff it! Make it southwest style and stuff roasted acorn squash with black beans, corn, tomatoes, cubed mango, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro.
- Make a delicious cream of acorn squash soup & you can even serve it inside hollowed-out squash halves.
Here is a fall-inspired acorn squash and apple soup recipe. The Honeycrisp apples sweeten up the flavor of the squash & then your taste buds get a little surprise from the horseradish! Enjoy
Apple & Acorn Squash Soup
Prep/Cook Time: 55 minutes Number of Servings: 4
- 3 Acorn Squashes (or a total of around 3lbs)
- 3 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups apple cider
- 3 teaspoons prepared horseradish (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored, diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Place squash cut side facing down on the prepared baking sheet and roast for approximately 45 minutes or until tender.
- In a medium sized pot, add low sodium chicken broth, apple cider, 1 teaspoon horseradish, chopped celery, minced garlic, and black pepper. Bring ingredients to a simmer.
- Remove the flesh of the squash from their skins and place in a food processor or blender. Add about 1 cup of the chicken broth mixture and puree until ingredients are a smooth texture. (Alternatively you can puree ingredients in the pot along with the squash with an immersion blender).
- Then place pureed squash into the pot with the remaining broth mixture and turn heat to medium low to keep warm.
- Meanwhile place diced apple in a bowl with the lemon juice and remaining horseradish and toss to mix well.
- Spray a medium sized skillet with non-stick spray and turn up heat to medium high. Add the apple mixture and sauté just until it starts turning a golden brown color.
- Divide soup evenly into 4 bowls and garnish with the sautéed apple mixture & garnish with chopped parsley.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 235 Protein: 4.5gm Total Carbohydrates: 59gm Fiber: 7.4gm
Total Fat: 0.4gm Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 101mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »