February is National Grapefruit Month
Feb 21, 2017
February is National Grapefruit Month so how about celebrating with this delicious grapefruit inspired salad. I absolutely love grapefruit but sometimes hit a rut when it comes to figuring out what to do with it. I love to eat it plain but also would love to use it in other recipes, so this is a great option!!!!!
California Wild Rice, Arugula, Grapefruit, Toasted Pecan Salad
- 1 cup wild rice
- 8 cups water or stock
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 Tbsp canola or rice bran oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups grapefruit juice reduced to ¼ cup
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp diced shallots
- ½ cup canola oil or rice bran oil
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bag baby arugula
- 3 large grapefruit
- Place the water, wild rice and salt in a medium pot and bring to a simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the wild rice starts to split open and soften. (Do not cook until completely open). Strain oﬀ the excess water, place in a bowl and cover with cling ﬁlm to cool.
- While the rice is cooking, make the vinaigrette. Slowly reduce the grapefruit juice to ¼ cup over a low ﬂame. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and add the vinegar, salt and shallot, let steep for 15 minutes. Add the canola oil in a slow steady stream while whisking constantly to emulsify. Add the pepper.
- Wash the arugula in cold water, gently swishing to loosen any grit, let set for 5 minutes to allow any dirt to settle to the bottom and gently lift the arugula from the top and dry in a salad spinner. Set aside.
- Toss the pecans with the canola oil and salt, spread out on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and bake in a 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Peel the grapefruit and remove each segment by cutting to the center on either side of the membrane to release the segments or supremes.
- Toss the wild rice, grapefruit and pecans with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Arugula bruises very easily so gently toss the arugula in another bowl with the remaining vinaigrette. Then gently mix the contents of the 2 bowls together and divide amongst 6 chilled plates.
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »