Feeling a Bit Hangry?
Mar 16, 2017
Getting a little “crabby” because you are hungry or should I say Hangry?? Then this recipe is for you!!
This is a different take on the usual tuna melts recipe made with English muffins, but uses sweet real crab meat and a variety of veggies to add texture, flavor and a pop of color!
There is also a surprise ingredient…..garlic hummus!!! Using hummus adds a healthy dose of fiber and a creamy texture in place of using mayonnaise. Enjoy.
Prep/Cook Time: 15 minutes Number of Servings: 4
- 4 Thomas whole wheat English muffins, sliced in half
- 1 - 6.5oz canned crab meat
- 3 asparagus spears, chopped
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons garlic hummus (enough to blend ingredients until creamy)
- 3-5 dashes of hot sauce (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices reduced fat provolone cheese
- Place English muffin halves cut side facing up.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven broiler.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the crab meat, asparagus, bell pepper, green onions, celery, garlic hummus, hot sauce, lemon juice, black pepper, and garlic powder until combined.
- Place the crab & hummus mixture over the top of the English muffin halves and top with a slice of provolone cheese.
- Broil for 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Try the same recipe with canned tuna instead of lump white crab meat
- Add diced sugar snap peas instead of asparagus
- Serve with oven-roasted potatoes, steamed vegetables and a side of fresh fruit
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 377 Protein: 27gm Total Carbohydrates: 29gm Fiber: 4gm
Total Fat: 17.4gm Cholesterol: 67mg Sodium: 880mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »