Do You Have Your Pulse On Pulses?
Apr 03, 2017
What are pulses you ask? Pulses are dried peas, beans, lentils and chickpeas. They are super versatile, affordable, tasty and nutritious. Looking for a great source of protein and an excellent source of fiber? Look no further. Here are some top ways to add pulses to your diet:
- Add black beans or lentils to your tacos or burritos.
- Pureed cannellini beans make a great base for dips and can also be used in casseroles.
- Chickpea flour can be used to replace 1/2 the flour called for in any of your baked good recipes.
- Add cooked lentils to your veggie bowls.
- Hummus makes a great sandwich spread.
- Mashed beans can be used to replace 1/2 the meat in burgers.
- Yellow split pea puree can replace up to 1/2 the cheese sauce in mac n cheese.
One of my favorite ways to eat pulses is baked chickpeas a.k.a garbanzo beans. Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas and dry well. Toss beans with a little olive oil and your favorite seasoning. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes at 400F. Stir and roast another 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes. Let cool and store in an air-tight container.
Hope Danielson, Director of Health and Wellness for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »