Pretty Please With Cherries on Top
Apr 27, 2017
Now who doesn’t love eating dessert? But sometimes we can get into a routine of eating “dessert” type dishes far more often than we should.
Ask yourself first and foremost….Am I really still hungry and have room for this dessert?......
Is this something I won’t be able to have again for a long time?
For example crème brulee (maybe because you don’t want to make it) or a special seasonal dessert that isn’t always available like pumpkin pie.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with indulging from time to time, but in America we often overindulge quite a bit!!
Make your indulgent desserts truly a rare occurrence and leave the guilt behind so you can actually enjoy them when you DO have them!
For the remainder of the time…when you “aren’t really hungry” but still want something “Sweet” ……reach for fruit!!
Yes I know Fruit doesn’t equal “Dessert” but with a few tweaks and extra ingredients, it can come pretty darn close!
Say “Pretty please with a Cherry on Top!!!” And there you have it a yummy fruit-based “dessert”
Chilean Cherry Berry Parfait
Prep Time: 10 minutes Number of Servings: 4
- 1 cup fresh sweet Chilean cherries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries or blueberries
- 1 cup chopped fresh or canned pineapple
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla or lemon yogurt
- 1 medium sliced banana
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup sliced, toasted almonds
- Set aside 4 whole Chilean cherries. Remove the pits and slice the remaining cherries in half.
- In tall or stemmed glasses, layer the cherries, pineapple, raspberries, yogurt, banana and dates.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top and garnish with a whole, sweet cherry.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 208 Protein: 5gm Total Fat: 4gm Carbohydrates: 41gm
Cholesterol: 4 mg Fiber: 4g Sodium: 39 mg
Recipe Courtesy of the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »