A Recipe to Chase Your Blues Away
Apr 20, 2017
Tiny, but mighty…..Blueberries have quite the nutritional profile with only 42 calories in a ½ cup serving they are also high in vitamin C, potassium & fiber and contain more cancer-fighting antioxidants than a glass of green tea or red wine!
Here’s a recipe to chase your winter "blues" away and welcome the warmer weather! Enjoy
Blueberry Chicken Salad with Almonds
Prep/Cook Time: 20 minutes Number of Servings: 6
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cooked – either boiled or baked
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- Dice chicken breasts and place in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle red onion with rice vinegar and toss into bowl.
- Add green onion, parsley, cranberries, blueberries and fold gently into mix.
- In a small mixing bowl add mayonnaise, yogurt and mustard. Blend well and fold dressing into salad. Garnish with toasted almonds. Serve with whole grain crackers or pita bread.
Nutrition Facts (per serving and doesn’t include crackers or pita):
Calories: 150 Protein: 9.5gm Total Carbohydrates: 15gm Fiber: 2gm
Total Fat: 5gm Cholesterol: 21mg Sodium: 480mg
Recipe courtesy of the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »