It's Grilling Season
May 25, 2017
It’s grilling season and if you are like most people….when the weather warms up it just makes sense to be outside and take advantage of the blue skies, green grass & warm sun.
Not to mention that pre-heating your oven also heats up your home, which can heat up your air conditioning bill if you know what I mean!
Head to the grill my friends and cook this delicious summer inspired quinoa salad.
Grilled Asparagus & Shrimp Quinoa Salad
Prep/Cook Time: 30 minutes Number of Servings: 4
[For the Vinaigrette]
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
[For the Quinoa Salad]
- 2 cups fresh asparagus, woody ends snapped off, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ yellow or red bell pepper, cut into ½ -inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-14oz can quartered artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 12oz fresh or frozen large raw shrimp, peeled & deveined (thawed if using frozen)
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, dry, rinsed well
- 3 cups water
- Place vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk; set aside.
- Add 3 cups of water to a medium sized saucepan along with the quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the saucepan and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the water has absorbed.
- Cut vegetables as directed in the ingredients section.
- Heat your grill & vegetable grilling basket to medium-high heat.
- Place vegetables and shrimp in a large bowl. Add about 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette to the veggies and toss to combine.
- Spread the shrimp & veggies over the hot grilling basket and grill for about 5-6 minutes, turning the shrimp and vegetables to cook evenly.
- 7. Remove veggies and shrimp from the grill and serve over cooked quinoa drizzled with remaining vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 500 Protein: 33gm Total Carbohydrates: 52gm Total Fat: 19gm
Fiber: 7gm Cholesterol: 125mg Sodium: 570mg
Recipe courtesy of Produce for Better Health Foundation
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »