Mushrooms, Onions & Peas Oh My!
May 11, 2017
Mushrooms, onions & peas Oh MY! I am a huge mushroom fan in general, but especially love them when they are sautéed or caramelized.
You really can’t go wrong with this recipe with the creamy texture and the cheesy flavor. Enjoy.
Caramelized Mushroom & Onion Risotto
Prep/Cook Time: 1 ½ hours Number of Servings: 4
- 1 yellow or Vidalia ® onion, thinly sliced vertically
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and stir to coat with oil, letting them cook until brown (about 20 minutes)
- Remove onions from the pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean and heat remaining tablespoon of canola oil in pan and brown the sliced mushrooms.
- Meanwhile heat wine and rice in a medium sized pot and stir until wine is absorbed.
- Mix broth and water together in a bowl. Increase heat to medium-high and stir in 1 cup of the broth-water mixture.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently until liquid is absorbed. Continue stirring and add remaining water-broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding the next.
- Then add the peas to the rice with the last cup of liquid. Cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency (about 1 hour).
- Gently stir in caramelized onions, mushrooms and parmesan cheese. Let sit about 5 minutes and serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 380 Protein: 12gm Total Carbohydrates: 58gm Fiber: 6gm
Total Fat: 10gm Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 270mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Recipe courtesy of Produce for Better Health Foundation
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »