What to Make for Cinco De Mayo
May 04, 2017
Cinco De Mayo is tomorrow – To help you celebrate here are some festive foods ideas that are more than just the traditional tacos and margaritas (which those are good too)!!!
- Pork Carnitas topped with queso fresco (Mexican white cheese), salsa verde and pickled onions wrapped in corn tortillas.
- Chicken Mole which in simple form is a chili chocolate (do I need to go any further….CHOCOLATE) sauce with cumin, cinnamon, pepper and sometimes tomato sauce & almond or nut butter – it’s quite delicious!
- Grilled Chipotle Lime Corn on the Cob – enough said!
- Mexican Roasted Potato Salad – made with black beans, cumin, green chilies, lime juice and chipotle
- Tropical Guacamole – made with diced pineapple and mango
- Beer-garitas – mix your favorite lite beer with margaritas and that’s it!
- Mexican Truffles – chocolate with a kick!
Not a huge fan of all the spiciness and chipotle pepper?? Then serve this sweet and tangy salsa recipe made with strawberries and bell pepper rather than jalapenos or other spicy peppers!
Summer Strawberry Salsa
Minutes to Prepare: 15 Number of Servings: 6
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped, seeds discarded
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper, optional (to taste)
- Salt, optional (to taste)
1. Combine the chopped strawberries, avocado, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, and lime zest in a bowl. Add black pepper and/or salt to taste (if desired, this is optional).
2. Mix ingredients well. Meanwhile, in another bowl add lime juice, orange juice, and olive oil and whisk until well blended.
3. Drizzle juice and olive oil mixture over the chopped strawberries and vegetables. Toss well to evenly coat.
4. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Use as a topping on grilled chicken, fish, or pork.
- Pair with lime or whole grain tortilla chips.
- Use on top of a mixed green salad to add color and lots of flavor without adding a lot of calories.
- If you want it to have a spicy flavor, add 1 small chopped jalapeno pepper to the recipe!
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 67 Protein: 0.8gm Total Carbohydrates: 7gm Fiber: 2gm
Total Fat: 4.6gm Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1mg (without adding salt)
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »