What to Do With Leftover Watermelon
Jul 05, 2017
Have you ever bought the largest watermelon you could find….thinking surly this will get eaten up at your backyard BBQ or Fourth of July Party but then you still have watermelon leftover for days...maybe even weeks (you might want to throw it out at that point)!!?
We’ve all been there and while I love watermelon, after a while I can become bored with eating it day after day.
Here are few ideas to turn your abundance of watermelon into appetizing recipes:
- Make a watermelon slushy, cocktail or smoothie with fresh lime juice and/or coconut milk
- Try grilling the watermelon with other fruits & serve with plain Greek yogurt & honey for dessert
- Make a watermelon & berry salsa to be served with cinnamon sugar whole wheat pita chips
- Try infusing your water with chunks of watermelon, cucumber and fresh mint leaves
- Make a savory watermelon salad with salty ingredients like feta and olives (check out the recipe below)!
Watermelon & Feta Salad
Prep/Time: 15 minutes Number of Servings: 6
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups watermelon, cut into 1- inch cubes
- ½ cup pitted & sliced Kalamata olives
- 6 ounces feta cheese, cut into cubes (or crumbled)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint, finely chopped
- In a medium sized bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt (if using) and pepper and whisk to mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the watermelon, olives, and feta cheese.
- Pour the dressing over the watermelon and toss until evenly coated.
- Fold in mint or garnish on top.
Nutrition Facts: (per serving and does Not include adding salt)
Calories: 235 Total Fat: 18.6gm Carbohydrate: 14gm Sugars: 9.6gm
Fiber: 0.6gm Protein: 5gm Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium 518mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »