Zoodles Instead of Noodles
Jul 27, 2017
With the temperatures soaring it can take a lot out of you… Sometimes the combination of the summer sun and high humidity levels can cause you to lose your appetite.
When that happens, the last thing you want to do is eat a large or heavy meal, which can make you feel even more miserable.
Here is a “light” recipe that uses zucchini instead of spaghetti pasta (which can make you feel stuffed) and is perfect to serve on a hot summer day for lunch or add some cooked shrimp and serve this for dinner!
Lemon Pesto Zoodles
Prep/Cook Time: 15 minutes Number of Servings: 6
- 4-5 medium sized zucchini and/or summer squash, stem ends removed
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ a large lemon
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- You will need a veggie spiralizer for this or you can use spaghetti squash instead or spaghetti pasta.
- Add cooked shrimp or scallops to make this a bit heartier (but still on the light side)
- Add fresh chopped tomatoes and scallions on top for added color, flavor & vitamins.
- Use your veggie spiralizer to turn your zucchini into noodles or “zoodles” either by twisting with a handheld spiralizer or the counter top kind. Set zucchini noodles aside in a bowl.
- Place basil leaves, garlic and parmesan cheese in a food processor and pulse to chop.
- Gradually add in the olive oil and lemon juice with the food processor running and continue to mix. Scrape down the sides with the processor turned off to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add black pepper to your taste preference.
- Optional: you can lightly sauté the noodles for 1-2 minutes over medium-low heat in a skillet or you can eat them cold.
- Pour the basil pesto over the zucchini noodles in the bowl and toss to coat evenly.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 145 Protein: 2.2gm Total Carbohydrates: 3gm Fiber: 1.1gm Total Fat: 14.5gm
Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 48mg
Melanie Kluzek, Registered Dietitian for County Market
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »