Entertaining When Company Is Coming/ Salads and Sides
Dec 18, 2017
It’s always helpful to include fruits and vegetables with any meal, but especially during the holidays when we tend to indulge on variety of not-so-good for you items. Here are some healthy options to fill half your plate with fruits and veggies.
- Vinegar and oil or veggie based deli salads such as the Fumi Fumi salad, broccoli salad, and Cowboy Cavier as a topping on a bed of leafy greens are better choices than heavy cream based salads.
- Fruit salads make a great side to your holiday brunch or as a healthier dessert.
- Try mixing fruits and vegetables together such as sliced Holiday Grapes with salad greens, shredded carrots, and diced apple chunks with a vinegar and oil-based dressing.
- Make your own fresh cranberry salad this year with pineapple, cranberries, diced celery, walnuts, and citrus juice to impress your guests.
We all look forward to holiday side dishes, but many times these are some of the unhealthiest items on our plates. Here are some ways to add a healthy spin on these popular sides.
- Make your stuffing with leftover whole-wheat bread to add more fiber so you won’t need to take as big of a portion.
- Skip the sugar-laden candied yams and make baked sweet potatoes with a little cinnamon and a pinch of brown sugar or honey if you like.
- Opt out of choosing high-calorie and high-fat casseroles and choose roasted veggies or steamed fresh veggies like green beans.
- Choose whole-grain dinner rolls instead of the usual canned biscuit dough that have hydrogenated oils or Trans fats.
- Try making your mashed potatoes with low-sodium chicken broth, garlic, and herbs in the place of butter and heavy creams.
Stay tuned for better-for-you dessert ideas!!!!
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »